Epoch on the Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maximilian (finally) returns

+2
Krond Thuliaga
Rob (Cast)
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Maximilian (finally) returns Empty Maximilian (finally) returns

Post by Rob (Cast) Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:19 pm

The inn door bursts open late at night during this falltime. An uncharacteristically flustered Maximilian stands in the entrance, breathing in the scents of the inn, focusing. 'Hells, what is happening to this island?' He says to no one. He surveys the dining area for anyone but regardless of any company walks to the (possibly vacated) tavernfront, courteously leaving a rare on the counter in food faith and pouring himself a halfling brew he is familiar with. He takes a piece of bread and whatever meat he can find and sits by the window, chewing with his eyes closed and head back. His forehead is bandaged heavily and his left arm is still missing. He seems open enough to interaction but unusually aloof.
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Maximilian (finally) returns Empty Re: Maximilian (finally) returns

Post by Joy Rosewood Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:42 pm

*Joy quietly stands up and goes to sit near Maximilian*

"Greetings Maximilian, goot to see you."

*Joy looks at his head*

*With a worried tone in her voice, she speaks looking towards Max*
"How are you doing? Eet looks like you hurt your head.."
Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 pm

Still muddied and stinking from the morning's hunt, Degren sits in the inn nursing a frothing beer. "Heyya, Maximilian. You seem addled. What's wrong?"
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Krond Thuliaga Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:09 pm

*Krond, whilst sitting down with Degren enjoying a beer, also voiced concern for Max's appearance*

"You awright Max? You look like you've been through hell."

*Krond takes a sizeable chug of his beer and places it on the table in front of him; then, proceeds to make his way over the Maximilian and takes a seat next to him*
Krond Thuliaga
Krond Thuliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 am

Max swallows the food and looks to each of those addressing him. 'Yes yes, I am sorry, my friends, for my attitude and my demeanor. It has been a rather long night -and month- but I am reasonably speaking, well.' He pauses a moment. 'How are the folk here? I suspect much has happened since we last met. I have been fearing for everyone's safety, what with the state of neighbouring settlements and the island in general. The air here feels... strange, almost woven.'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 pm

"Things have been almost normal here. A few extra monsters from time to time, but nothing we haven't seen before. Tell us, what's happening to our neighbors? We haven't had many visitors lately, so news is scarce."
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:24 pm

'Well, normal is good. Things seemed to imply something far graver last time I was here. To that, I must apologize, Degren, Krond.' He looks to the two of them specifically. 'After you enlightened me on the extraplanar nature of your situation, I had promised I would return in short order and I did not. Needless to say I was held up in the unraveling of things farther inland. It seems the nearer to Nullisia one draws the stronger the creatures there manifest. Some of the things I've seen... nothing among all the undead of Annwm have ever appeared so uncanny. Though danger is present everywhere. I've just come from the Benjamin settlement, you see. Have you been? The folk there put me up as I helped with some fortifications and we were attacked late last week. My word, it was chaotic. I am impressed by you and the rest here, surviving as you do. I would not advise traveling yet though, most not at night. I saw an Imperial camp out along the south absolutely wrought. More specifically...' he leans in, 'I had headed that way in search of information from a trusted person. That camp was one of the things I had seen along the way.'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Krond Thuliaga Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:55 pm

"So monster activity has been steadily increasing all over the island, like we thought. This all started happening the moment we linked those elemental tether points together. Its definitely because of the rift bein' more unstable as a result of that."

*Krond then looks at Degren, and back to Max*

"The only reason why we've been 'survivng' is cause we've all been workin together as best we can up until this point. But we've definitely had some close calls. If the monster activity were to increase more than this, I dont know what would happen to us."

*Krond clenches his fists tight*

"The thought of Holdfast ending up like that Imperial camp weighs heavy in my mind . . . This person you're meeting; by chance are you meeting them in regards to this sudden increase in monster activity or the rift?"
Krond Thuliaga
Krond Thuliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by Vadim Ironstones Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:54 am

Vadim awoke from his gin-induced coma and sat up with a rattle, as though his armour was stuffed full of gravel. Doing his best to scan the room for visitors, he hears a conversation between a few semi-familiar voices and declares:

"WHO'S IN HERE BESIDES THE BROWN CIRCLE, THE BLUISH BLOB WITH THE GREY THING, AND JOY ROSEWOOD THE HALFLING ARCHER?"

"SIDE NOTE: THE FUCK IS A RIFT?"
Vadim Ironstones
Vadim Ironstones

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:07 am

Max replies to Krond before Vadim's outburst. 'Indeed, in regards to the activity, I had expected much, but not what I have actually seen. I must insist you all stay away from the centre of the island. It is by no less than a miracle that I am alive. This person I speak of... my informant, as it were; we have already met. I had been on my return to Holdfast when I was held at the Benjamin Settlement for that "encounter". This person I cannot name has ties to an all but dissolved research division of the Imperial Army. They told me some answers to questions I had and told me to ask you some questions, if you will permit. Firstly: the monsters you have thus far encountered are the tip of the iceberg, as I had my suspicions of as well. The influx of inonceivable energies you are all propogating by this magical operation will see to the reveal of a greater threat: indeed, a not monsters strictly speaking, but a legion of sentient forces. This has, apparently, happened before, long ago. Our plane, to them, occupies a sort of space that interferes with their... 'flow', my friend called it. Some part of their plane that requires it rid of to increase in power. And this is what they do. They consider themselves above us in every way. Because of this arrogance, if they truly perceive a threat before they try to assimilate us into their plane, they will not immediately eradicate us. They want as much life force intact as possible to "inherit". That is our opening, our handicap, if you will. We will have warnings and forecasts as to their actions, as they slowly scout us out and try to subjugate us quietly. So I must ask you to tell me if indeed any of these beings appear, this will be of great importance. Not the great white beasts or helions as you call them, but one of these... faceless entities. They will be unmistakable. Has there been any sign pointing to them, or otherwise?' Max starts at Vadim but responds with composure. 'Hello, my friend. My name is Maximilian. You are?'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:44 am

After waiting a few seconds for Vadim and Max to become acquainted, Degren speaks up, "We've been told many of the same things, but we didn't know that the center of the island was getting hit as hard as it is. We were approached by what we believe to be one of the beings behind this whole debacle-- it was tall, white, and shrouded in mystery. It had incredible power, and seemed to be invulnerable to any attack we could muster: save for Herr. The little blue guy? I'm sure you've seem him around town. The thing couldn't touch him, not matter how much it tried. Herr accomplished what we all couldn't in no time at all, and tore into the monster before its escape. It was definitely afraid of him, I can say that much. We've been binding the circles here to create a net that'll hopefully stop this incursion-- but things seem to be getting worse, not better. Your friend, did he mention anything about the "Old Fey", or how we can stop this?"
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Vadim Ironstones Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:16 pm

"HELLO OTHER VOICE, QUESTION STILL STANDS." Vadim shouts in the general direction of maxwell.
Vadim Ironstones
Vadim Ironstones

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Maximilian's eyes widen. 'You HAVE encountered one! But I thought you said nothing new had occurred... no matter! I am all the more sorry I was not here, though if what you say is true then I would have been of little help. I am familiar with Herr, I taught the man once... though his... blueness... is somewhat new to me. I seem to recall seeing it last time. He was an antagonist to them, you say? That is... interesting. My informant mentioned nothing of old fey, nor of the imp that Herr has become. That is what he is, yes? I didn't realize they were even real, honestly. Now the white being itself...' Max ponders for a moment. 'I am uncertain as to what it may have hoped o achieve. Did it say anything? Did another show? Did it show again? If this net, as you say, is the key in repelling them then it would make sense for them to be agitated and...' He pauses. 'Wait, how far along are you in this process?'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:52 pm

Max turns again to Vadim. 'Ah, yes, I am sorry, my friend. The rift is something of an anamoly, and mostly unknown in nature to myself, though I understand it is a leaking port of one higher dimensional plane into our lesser. The rift itself is hardly the problem at this point, as the flooding out of this higher plane is inevitable. Your friends here seem to be working with your elemental lords in regards to its incursion. Perhaps you might ask them for further details? I'm afraid I have only ever heard of the lords myself.'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Rosewood Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:59 pm

*Joy finishes her beer*

"Ze points have all been found, blesses und connected. Ze Vhite Rook, as some of us have taken to calling eet, came once und told us to stop ze tethering process or ve vould suffer a ZOUsand deaths. Vell, just after eet left zat first time ve finished up the task the elemental lords gave us. Ze next day eet came, eet vas far veaker. You should have seen ze Lady Val mock eet for eets's ineffectual attacks. Zen, Herr started fighting eet, und zen eet exploded."

*Joy calls out for another beer*
Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Max becomes visibly excited at this. 'You have finished the process already? That is amazing! This means it was indeed corporeal... and if what you say about this net is true... it falls in line with what my friend has come to know: they will be unable to absorb our world. The critical part of this is already won. They will be forced to assume physical forms, as evidenced already, and they will be vulnerable. Now, this is very important.' Max leans in and takes a quick swig of his brew. 'If this tower like creature is anything like what I have been told of... it was only the gatekeeper. You folks pushed them to the point where a formal scout must have been passed over completely, and the sentry itself came to ward you off. It failed, and now they know you have a weapon in Herr. There is a report in the old books, my friend showed me, of experimentation in magical and extraplanar encounters, however limited, with this side. It seems that before this rift tore open, it wasn't that they had simply bided their time... they couldn't reach us. Something had sealed them there, however temporarily. It seems these energies that flow out of cracks in dimensions are controlled in intensity by them, at least in some part. They had sought to flood our world with their essence.... now, I highly suspect that they will do the other extreme. You see, when this group of magicists peered over, they made very deliberate measures to keep their "peephole" as narrow as possible. When an encounter DID take place, it was focused and dense. As if masses of their essence had to travel through the eye of a needle to manifest. Their power was bottlenecked, as it were. My friend believes you have achieved something similar with this net. Now that it is complete there is the obvious benefit of their worls not absorbing ours. There is also the benefit of their corporeal forms being unable to spread out their forces in a vast array all over the world. The bad news...' Max rubs his temples, closing his eyes in focus. 'They will have no choice but to be funneled right into Holdfast, their most prevalent physical anchor, and the focused essence of their greatest powers will take forms which will be unlike anything we have encountered. Whatever this white tower was, it is the least of them in terms of power.' He sighs. 'I don't know how long it will be before they strike, but they will want you all. Not dead. Assimilated. They will likely be preparing as well, in their own way. They will hold back their own flood for as long as they can to build up force and then release it into your world. With this funnel effect happening the pressure wipp be even greater. The bigger the build up, the bigger the impact. If they make it past you, if they break your net from without, and force into the rest of our plane... I don't knos if we will be able to do anything else.'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Rosewood Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:49 pm

*A look of horror appears over Joy's face*

"So, ve have only captured one of zeir pawns.. and now zey vill send greater zings after us? Gods help us all."

*Joy takes a big drink*

"I guess ve need more First Fey like Herr. I vill be praying at ze Faerie Ring tomorrow for help. Und ve should tell everyone else who iz not here about zese facts."

*Joy looks at Maximilian*

"Zank you for telling us zis. Ve vill need to be as prepared as ve can. Ven do you zink zey vill strike next?"
Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:59 am

"Having one weapon is fine, but not agaisnt anything stronger than what we were facing here a month ago. For all we know, Herr could be dead by then. Is there a way to use him to imbue ourselves? Maybe a weapon oil, or some kind of enchantment to emulate his ability? Don't get me wrong here, but Herr is, I assume, mortal like the rest of us, and can be slain. Perhaps these White Tower things can't hurt him, but everything else can, if Herr dies to a spider, or a bandit, we will be out our only weapon-- and Anwym will be doomed. What can we do to prepare?"
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:02 am

Max leans back, a bit of exhaustion hitting him again. He sighs, looking at the celing. 'I don't know when they might next strike, unfortunately. My friend told me attacks woupd not be performed by these things in strategic succession... each assault on you is deliberately to end everything. So as I said, they will most likely be 'holding' the rift in place for as long as they can; ironic, since it was you all who originally had opted for that. Now it is in their best interest to allow their own energy and efficiency to build. They are like an arrow drawn by a bowstring, and when they reach full drawn, THEN they will release. It could be swaths of them, it could be a singular entity condensed with power. You see, this will most likely be all or nothing for them as well. Once the rift fully opens and it all spills out... they will be unable to go back. Have you tried putting water back into a raincloud? So, dear Joy, I fear I do not know. They could strike now, or in a year's time. I myself have a question for you to help answer your own, Degren: do you recall the movements and offensive patterns of this being? How did it compose itself? Did it use magic or sword? I fear I have no inkling as to how Herr's present state might be utilized from outside himself... that sounds positively arcane.'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:00 am

"They didn't attack physically at all. It purely used magic without mana, and attacked with a seemingly infinite amount of power. I'd rather an enemy that fought with a sword, honestly. At least you can block one of those."
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Krond Thuliaga Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:14 am

"Indeed. I'm not much use against things that can't be hurt by my swords. And whatever power this thing was using, it could use it at will and it was not running out of stamina. At least, not from what I could tell."

"Not dismissing Herr's ability on the battlefield, but if he is the ONLY thing that can hurt these monsters then we won't stand a chance if they send an army of them. And I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket. Whenever the Thuliaga clan goes monster hunting, they always make sure they're well prepared before the hunt. That's exactly what we have to be if/when these things return; prepared. And unfortunately, we are sorely lacking in that regard."
Krond Thuliaga
Krond Thuliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:57 am

Max nods, looking stern. 'I agree with you both. Better a straightforward fight, at least knowing where a sword is in the space around you is its own certainty. And yes, Krond, it would not be prduent to put all the weight of success here on Herr's shoulders. These things don't seem to care much for laws of our world... rather, magicks are so elementary to them that they can bend and make it at their will. I would suspect that, especially with the stronger entities, the same might be said for actions of physicality. It definitely was present, yes? Rather, physically set in front of you? If you can touch it, they can touch you and the possibility of martially inclined beings must also be prepared for. This was... mentioned... by my informant. At least things like that you can more reliably plan for. Not to say, of course, to ignore the possibility of even stronger magicks then you encountered. Tell me, aside from Herr's breakthrough, were ANY of you able to damage the creature, even a slight bit? Was there any sign of recoil from it? It obviously is bound by our world in that it has the capacity to be destroyed. In all the chaos of those fights, did anyone notice any attacks getting through, even a little bit?'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Rosewood Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:13 am

"I shot many arrows into eet. I don't know if zey did anyzing against ze monster; I vas too busy running around trying not to get eet's attention. Krond, Sir Degren, did eizer of you observe it being hurt by my arrows?"
Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Post by Krond Thuliaga Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm

"I dunno whether or not it was getting hurt by your arrows, but they didn't seem to phase it; it just kept walking to its destination. Not even Gram had any effect on it."

"But then again Gram, much like most weapons in Holdfast, are just slabs of metal. I dunno if anyone tried hitting it with silver or magic of any kind."
Krond Thuliaga
Krond Thuliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:16 am

"Wood, metal, silver, bone, arrows, and magic... They all failed against it."
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content