Epoch on the Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Torvallis! is waiting for Horns by the Fire Circle

2 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Torvallis! is waiting for Horns by the Fire Circle Empty Re: Torvallis! is waiting for Horns by the Fire Circle

Post by Horns Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:17 pm

[August 29, 2:15pm]

Horns wanders out towards the forge, where he had agreed to teach Torvallis! some more advanced medical abilities. He spots Torvallis! sitting on a log and jogs over, his med kit bouncing off his legs as he goes.

"Good afternoon, Torvallis!" He smiles. "So, we're here to teach you more about medicine, which I will happily do! But, um, the thing is, it's been pointed out to me that I've, uh, been giving things away for free when I don't have to be, and I realized that this could be more of an, um, exchange." He clears his throat and plows on. "It wouldn't necessarily cost you anything, um, as it were, but more of an exchange of knowledge! You see, I'm going to be teaching you a variety of advanced medical techniques, so I was thinking you could teach me a few things, too! In particular, you're a much better cook than I am, and I'd really like to learn more about cooking, to help me in my work with Phineas. And, as well, you seem much better with animals than I am! I've seen rats come right up to you, and Sergeant Beary really took a liking to you, too! So..." A small pause. "What do you say?"

---
OOG: So Horns teaches Torvallis! Medic 2 and Medic 3, and Torvallis! teaches Horns Life Skill: Cooking (I'm just assuming Torvallis! has it, but if they don't then Horns'll probably ask for something else) as well as Life Skill: Animal Handling (Or Rat Handling, if that's what Torvallis! has).

Horns

Back to top Go down

Torvallis! is waiting for Horns by the Fire Circle Empty Re: Torvallis! is waiting for Horns by the Fire Circle

Post by Horns Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:53 pm

(OOG: Perhaps once Torvallis! learns it from Phineas they could teach it to Horns, then! We don't mind waiting for it, and I'd really like him to learn it at some point)

Horns avidly takes notes on a few sheets of paper, and listens intently. While teaching, he does small demonstrations whenever possible.

"So, if the rat wants me to do faun stuff... Should I? Would that, y'know, help? And, if so, and I wiggle my ears at them, to, y'know, initiate, how will I know if they're interested?"

"So, one of the most important things to know is whether someone is..." Horns swallows, "De-de-um-dead." He shivers. "Some psychics can put themselves in trances, which looks like death to the untrained eye, but is not, thank Nordin!" Horns take Torvallis!'s hand and puts it at the base of his neck. "Can you feel that light pumping? That's my pulse-it's caused by my heart beating. Now, people who are alive, will have a pulse." Horns moves Torvallis!'s hand to his wrist, to demonstrate other areas they could find a pulse. "This includes people in trances, although their pulses will be very weak, as their heart is slowed. Always take a pulse with your index finger, not your thumb. If you use your thumb, you might not get an accurate read." Horns produces a dagger and holds it under his nose, fogging up slightly. "Additionally, Psychics in trances do not stop breathing! If you place a dagger or a mirror or some other such object under their nose, it will fog as they exhale. This is not the case in dead bodies." Horns lowered the dagger. "More obviously, bodies which have been dead for some time will become very hard, and stiff. As time goes on further, the bodies will turn very pale, then they will begin to rot and smell. Eventually, the body will rot completely, and all that will be left is bones."

"Do they like scritches behind the ears? Should I wait for them to trust me before I try?"

"Ah, yes, exactly! Swelling around the area, in particular, is an excellent way of determining whether someone's been poisoned, as well as changes in pupil size. Different poisons have different effects, of course, but expect either drooling or drymouth; confusion; often pain, but not always; usually excessive fatigue and lethargy, although occasionally hyperactivity!"

"Should I give them treats to get them to like me, or does that discourage them from finding their own food? Should I give treats to reinforce good behavior?"

"If someone falls unconscious," Horns falls to the ground, but continues talking, "you can return them to consciousness if you apply pressure to their wounds," He presses against his own arm, "and use smelling salts to wake them up." He takes his vial of smelling salts out of his medkit and waves them under his nose, without removing the cover. He stands back up. "You have to be very careful, though; if you lose the pressure on their wounds, they can easily fall back into unconsciousness," he lets go of his arm and falls back to the ground, "so you have to keep on them. You can get them to walk this way," he stands up and walks, very slowly, "but be very careful; they could easily worsen their wounds if they do anything more complicated than a slow walk, which includes swinging a weapon," he stabs the air with his dagger, "or running," he jogs a few steps, "or even eating." This, he mimes. "You should only do this to get them to safety if you can't stitch them up where you are."

"D-does being the rat... Help? Should I get on all fours and eat cheese with them?"

"Stitching wounds is a sort of like stitching cloth, or leather, but also sort of different; one of my fathers did both, and that's what he told me. There are a lot of ways to stitch up a wound, but I will tell you the simplest method, which is also one of the most effective, but is also much more time consuming. You want to sew the edges of the wound together with single stitches, unconnected to each other. You thread the needle," He demonstrates, "Hold the edges of the wound together," He pushes some of the skin on his arm together, "You push the needle through both sides," he mimes the motions with the needle, "and you tie it off." He demonstrates this, as well. "Then you repeat the same stitch, a few inches away, all the way across the wound. Before you start," he adds, "you must sterilize the needle in boiling water or with disinfectant, and put antiseptic on the wound."

"If I get marked by one rat, though, will the other rats stay away from me? Or like me more?"

"If you are stitching someone up, be sure to bring them to a sterile environment, with good light! You don't want them to get dust in their wounds, or to sew them up wrong because you can't see. The inn is the best place. If you're stuck, you can do some preliminary work on them in those conditions, but only just enough to get them moving around on their own. Anything more risks too much."

"So, how easy is it to teach rats tricks? Can they sit, or play dead, or attack on command?"

"We will, of course, need to have you do a practical test of these skills before I'd feel comfortable sending you off into the world with them. I need to see you do them, to make sure you do everything correctly. I would be happy if we knocked someone unconscious in the woods or here, by the forge, and you stabilized them, woke them up, walked them to the inn, and stitched them up. That covers most of the practical elements. Does that sound good to you?"

Horns

Back to top Go down

Post by Horns Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:38 pm

"I would say that covers just about everything you need to know! If you can find somebody willing to let you knock them out and patch them up, we'll be golden. I suppose if there's nobody else, you could try it on me, but I'd really rather be awake to make sure you don't make any mistakes."

Horns

Back to top Go down

Post by Horns Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:07 pm

Horns laughs. "Any of those would be fine, certainly! The centurion is probably a good candidate; he let me cut off his leg, and he would do anything for you, I bet. Enough people go down from the local wildlife that you could probably just wait a while. Whatever you want to do works for me!"

Horns

Back to top Go down

Post by Horns Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:28 pm

"Sure! I don't really know what makes an elemental circle not-fine, exactly, but I'd be happy to come along!"

Horns

Back to top Go down

Post by Horns Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:50 pm

"That makes sense, I think!"

Horns

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum