Epoch on the Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Book/reading mechanic.

+4
Timmean
Malva
Ivy
Torvallis!
8 posters

Go down

Book/reading mechanic. Empty Book/reading mechanic.

Post by Ivy Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:26 am

Idea: add a mechanical function to reading IG books/scrolls/foreboding graffiti.

To be more specific, we could have books for learning skills which can be used in place of a teacher. There may alsobe skills for writing better books. For example: Merlin the wizard wants to write a book to teach people high level fire magic. To write his book: Merlin needs writing level 5 and tier 5 fire magic. Unfortunately, Merlin only has writing 3, and can therefore only write books to teach tier 3 fire magic. The idea being that a certain level in the writing skill be required to teach up to a certain level in any given skill.

Now, books aren't a complete substitute for having a teacher, and this would be reflected in the mechanics of learning skills from books. For skills which cost double without a teacher, one could read the book and pay less than double for the skill. Perhaps pay 1.5x base instead of 2x base.

I have some more Ideas with this subject and want to hear what others think of this before continuing.

Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Book/reading mechanic. Empty Re: Book/reading mechanic.

Post by Ivy Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:10 am

I feel that a skill other than Scroll Maker should be used for the making of skill manuals, as Scroll Maker has awareness as one of it's prerequisites (And I don't think that awareness of mana is required to create "How to stab monsters for dummies"). Also, were it necessary to make a master scroll of "How to stab monsters for dummies" in order for to teach aforementioned skill, that would require the investment of 62 XP into a skill that you would only be using for maybe two hours out of a 2.5 day event.

I can see a similar, but not identical, skill looking something like this:

Writing 1: Allows the player to create skill books. These skill books can teach the reader up to half the level of the author's skill in this stat (At time of writing, rounded up)

(Prereqs: Literacy) (Cost: 6)

Writing 2: Skill books created at this level can teach up to 3/4s of the level of the writer at time of writing.

(Prereqs: Writing 1) (Cost: 12)

Writing 3: Skill books created at this level can teach up to of the level of the writer at time of writing.

(Prereqs: Writing 2) (Cost: 24)

With the skills broken up as they are above, it means that you can write a skill book at any level, it's just that in order for them to be any good you have to be really good at the skill you're writing a bout or have a higher writing skill.

Edit: I also want people to write out actual things relevant to the skill in their skill books and have people read them rather than "Here is the smiting skill book. You now have another level in smiting". But that's just me.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivy Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:10 pm

The big Idea I had was to provide an alternative to spending plot force to have an NPC show up to train someone (This scenario may occur if you want a skill which no one can teach you, and you don't have the spare xp to get it at 2x base). If you look back to the original post I mentioned the idea of books reducing but not eliminating the no teacher penalty. I was thinking that if this was the case, it could cost fewer CPs to have Bilbo the book merchant show up with the book you wanted then to have a teacher NPC show up.

Also, skill books can be loot. Teachers -While they could still be loot- would be less suited to being loot.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Malva Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:54 pm

I think this would work best as something not necessarily defined in the rulebook, but as a kind of magical item that the AD could give out at their discretion. It would definitely be good loot, but it seems like a lot more work to put in the rulebook than it's worth, and it's not that much more worthwhile for players because they could spend the time writing the book teaching the person directly, not to mention the xp investment in getting the writing skill to begin with; most players wouldn't do it.
Malva
Malva

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivy Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Malva wrote:I think this would work best as something not necessarily defined in the rulebook, but as a kind of magical item that the AD could give out at their discretion. It would definitely be good loot, but it seems like a lot more work to put in the rulebook than it's worth, and it's not that much more worthwhile for players because they could spend the time writing the book teaching the person directly, not to mention the xp investment in getting the writing skill to begin with; most players wouldn't do it.

Yea that's true. For whatever reason I was thinking that people who had attained a very high level in a given skill wouldn't have the patience to train someone in those skills, or that a person may wish to write a skill book up so that they can play an alternate character while another person learns their skill. In our group that seems to situational to be worthwhile.
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Timmean Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:09 pm

At high enough levels, I can certainly see some characters (Timmean included) wanting to make a permanent record of their knowledge. But the XP cost would be the big inhibitor; we all have far more fun things to do with our XP Razz I, for one, have plans for my next... 800 XP or so. It'd be a while before I get around to buying a writing skill.

Admin

https://epochnl.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivy Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Travis wrote:At high enough levels, I can certainly see some characters (Timmean included) wanting to make a permanent record of their knowledge. But the XP cost would be the big inhibitor; we all have far more fun things to do with our XP Razz I, for one, have plans for my next... 800 XP or so. It'd be a while before I get around to buying a writing skill.

What on earth could you ever need 800 XP for? taking Fast healer one through twenty five?
Ivy
Ivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Timmean Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:11 am

High-level magic is 16XP for every tier, and another 16 for every spell. Psychic is 10XP for every state, and there are 32 states. The cost of Awareness doubles at every level, going up as high as 80 for a single skill. And there are other cool skills like Enchanter, and important support skills like Income.

And I haven't even mentioned combat or alchemy.

Admin

https://epochnl.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zar/Herr Mon May 09, 2016 11:55 am

I really like this idea! my character is going to be writing down almost everything he learns and he's going to deal in information, by which i mean that he would collect information however he can; people can request information and he would sell it to them. in the case of skill books, my character would negotiate a deal for someone to give him that information or he'll obtain it himself and will then write it down and sell/trade it to the person who wants it! So i would invest into a writing skill.

let's say, one day, Timmean wants to know how to shoot a bow, maybe just to go hunting (just an example!). If there are no characters available or willing that can teach him how to do this, he could come to my character and request the book. I'll charge a fee depending on A) if i have the information already and B) How complex/high level it is. he'll save a few XP and spend a few rocks unless he's willing to wait for a teacher.
This could be an NPC as well but it's what i plan to do anyway and it wouldn't apply to JUST skills. Thoughts?
Zar/Herr
Zar/Herr

Back to top Go down

Post by Volkihere Malacalo Tue May 10, 2016 5:24 am

I will make everyone ask questions like "ooo who is Torvallis! Taking to Borins grandfathers funeral" or "does anyone have a crush on me," or "does Dave know that we think his hair style, it's ok." Or even just a series of relationship advice.

Volkihere Malacalo

Back to top Go down

Post by Zar/Herr Tue May 10, 2016 9:25 am

Those will be the most expensive questions, by far
Zar/Herr
Zar/Herr

Back to top Go down

Post by AD Wed May 11, 2016 5:48 pm

Simbody, I agree with Malva on this, that it would be a magic item kind of idea. If you'd like, we can talk. Smile
AD
AD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ValerieTheHuntress Fri May 20, 2016 6:08 am

cool
ValerieTheHuntress
ValerieTheHuntress

https://jordanlesterfortopsail.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down