Clearing the Land

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Clearing the Land

Post by Torvallis! on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:48 am

"BWAHAHAHAHAHA! BURN! INFLAME! BURST INTO BRILLIANT CRIMSON WRATH! Uh, hey, you folks should vacate the field, I'm going to start burning at the edge and walk the inside perimeter of the ditch so that it'll all burn inwards. SEE THE GLORY OF LORD FIRE! (Cyanide, you should get out and watch, you'll like this)"

Torvallis!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ira the Elf on Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:36 am

18/1/15 10:30 GMT

"Aah! Quick Tim we better get out of the way!" she cries, grabbing the middle aged human and attempting to drag him to the best of her abilities.

"Oh wait! I have a simple solution! The Air will make this human immaterial for 10 minutes!" she proclaims turning Tim insubstantial. "Now the fire can't hurt you! And better yet My essence will Blend with Air!" she says, joining Tim in the faded and breezy otherworld.

"There. Now we can't be burnt to a crisp by that crazy pyromancer. I'd help Mr. Volk but he looks like he is enjoying studying that fire mana."

Last edited by Ira the Elf on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot time stamp... again)
Ira the Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:10 am

18/1/15 10:45 GMT

A short distance away at the edge of the woods Lady Val looks on the strange sight before her.

How queer that this youngling bounces about maintaining so little dignity, and helping the human farmer. Certainly she has some control over her magic but where are her parents, and why in good Faerie's name has she chosen to pursue air magic. Oh, look, how interesting now she's combining "The Air will spin you" with "With water I douse this Fire". How did she learn that I wonder? What else has dear Phineas been hiding from me about his so-called "students". Clearly I should not underestimate the halfling if he is able to inspire loyalty in ones so... unique as these.

Her gaze turns towards the fire mage and his strange choice of pupil, a smile coming to her lips. Ah now Torvallis! such a mystery. Is he truly the chosen of his Lord Fire, or is he merely a deranged human? His technique leaves much to be desired but his proficiency in pyromancy is impressive, well for one of his species at any rate. I fear however that his pupil shows less... talent for for his art, his handling of mana is disgraceful, such poor form... ugh and I can smell the alcohol and Orc stench from here, does that half-breed ever bathe? Lady Val promptly whips out her fan to redirect the breeze.

Oh! It looks like things are about to get interesting, Torvallis! has called upon his gift, and that precocious little thing has turned herself and the farmer immaterial. Her smile stretches into wolfish grin. Perhaps I should show them all how a true mistress of Faerie's light comports herself. With this in mind she snaps her fan closed, gathers her skirt and turns to her handmaiden. "Secure the caravan, and keep watch on that halfling merchant, although he has fine manners I suspect he may have ulterior motives. See what you can learn my dear."
Lady Val

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Torvallis! on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:32 am

"Lady Val!! You got off the moon! What a pleasure to make your acquaintance again!", T! extended a flaming hand.

Having almost lapped the field already with their torch, the fire was picking up and quickly extinguishing the edge vegetation, coming together in the centre. It would certainly choke out at least once before the job was done, but with the dense vegetation of the woods, the many felled and un-green trees, and the high winds, it was much safer to have to rekindle the fire than to have to put one out!

A small furry bag was situated on Torvallis!'s shoulder, and somehow miraculously keeping there.

Last edited by Torvallis! on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Torvallis!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:56 pm

"Indeed," she replies dropping her skirts and extending her hand graciously "There is more than one way to leave the moon. Now my dear Torvallis! I see that you have been up to quite a bit while I was gone. I must say I am impressed with your abilities thus far. However I must admit that while I am sure you are very capable of doing good work in the name of your Lord I did come down here to offer some assistance should you wish it." As she says this she flares her cloak dramatically, gives Torvallis! an elegant smile, and raises a fireball laden hand.
Lady Val

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Torvallis! on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:59 pm

"Shall we link arms and skip across the meadow, burning all in our path?", T! waggled their eyebrows and bowed down to kiss Lady Val's hand.

Torvallis!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ira the Elf on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Ira stares at the strange Elf though the mist. "Tim, who's that? I thought Thrain and I were the only Elves her - What is SHE doing with TORVALLIS!"
Ira the Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val on Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Lady Val laughs musically "You know Torvallis! I believe we shall, although we must be elegant dear I must live up to the expectations of one of the chosen of Faerie." With a flourish she extends her right elbow and conjures a fireball in her left hand. "Ready?" she asks with a coquettish smile.
Lady Val

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Torvallis! on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:33 pm

"The flames are alive with the sound of music
With songs that they sing like a thousand bees
The flames fill my heart with the sound of music
My heart wants to burn every bush it sees!

My heart wants to rise like the tongues of the flame
That rise from the lake to the trees
My heart wants to burn like a fire
That flies from a church on a breeze

To cackle like embers when they scorch,
And crack fragile stones in their way
To sing through the night
Like a hearth as it blazes away

I go to the flames when my heart is lonely
I know I will hear what I've heard before
My heart will be blessed with the sound of music
And I'll sing once more"

Torvallis!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:27 am

19/01/15 8:26 GMT

"Excellent Torvallis!" Lady Val exclaims while skipping along in a ladylike fashion and throwing fireballs at a particularly withered looking patch of scrub. "I say, do you know this one? Ahem-"

Everything has its season
Everything has its name
Show me a flame and I'll soon show you my aim
Burning down the windowsill
Ashes falling like snow
Why not bring the flames of change everywhere I go?

Rivers belong where they can ramble
Eagles belong where they can fly
I've got to be where my spark can run free
Got to watch the flames burn so high!

Every Fae has its daydreams
Every Fae has his goal
People like the way flames have
Of burning to the soul
Thunderclouds have their lightning
Nightingales have their song
And don't you see I want this fire to be
Something more than long....

So many Fae seem destined
To settle for something small
But I won't rest until I know I'll have it all
So don't ask where I'm going
Just follow the burnt trees
And far away you'll hear me singing
Softly to the breeze:

Lady Val

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Torvallis! on Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:41 am

Let's start at the very beginning
A very good place to start
When you read you begin with A B C
When you flame you begin with Luminosity
Luminosity, Luminosity
The first three steps just happen to be
Burn Char Blaze Burn Char Blaze
Burn Char Blaze Scorch melt singe sear
Let's see if I can make it easier

Burn, a bush, a shubbery
Char, a drop of black 'n' flame
Blaze, a thing, I do myself
Scorch, a thing you do to game
Melt, some metal into grails
Singe, a colour to be found
Sear, a steak with bread and ale
That will bring us back to Burn, burn, burn, burn

Burn, a bush, a shubbery
That will bring us back to:

Burn, a bush, a shubbery
That will bring us back to Burn!

Burn Char Blaze Scorch Melt Singe Sear, Melt Burn

'Now children, Burn Char Blaze Scorch Melt and so on
Are only the tools we use to kindle a fire
Once you have these parts in your heads'
'You can burn a million different things by mixing them up
Like this'

Melt Burn Singe Scorch Blaze Burn Char
'Can you do that?'
Melt Burn Singe Sear Burn Char Burn
'Now, put it all together'

'Good'

When you know the words to sing
You can burn most anything
Together

Burn, a bush, a shubbery

Burn Char Blaze Scorch Melt Singe Sear
Burn Sear Singe Melt Scorch Blaze Char
Burn Blaze Blaze
Blaze Melt Melt
Char Scorch Scorch
Singe Sear Sear
Burn Blaze Blaze
Blaze Melt Melt
Char Scorch Scorch
Singe Sear Sear

Burn, a bush, a shubbery

Melt Burn Singe Scorch BLaze Burn Char
Melt Burn Singe Scorch
Singe Melt Scorch Blaze Char
Sear Burn
Melt Burn

Torvallis!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AD on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:38 am

((OOG - Nothing is burning. Spells are not being cast, so nothing is burning.))

AD
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ira the Elf on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:44 am

Ira looks on as the pair skip and dance about failing to burn anything. Fire mages are so odd.
Ira the Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:52 am

"Torvallis! dear I think we should start firing at those trees over there. With Fire I strike you 3 points!" she calls beginning to fire balls of flame at her surroundings.

"And those bushes too I think. With Fire I strike you 3 points!" she says, hitting a pair of ragged bushes with a blast of flame.
Lady Val

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Torvallis! on Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:52 am

[OOC: . . . I was just using normal fire and an implied 'with fire I engulf my hands' to protect them. I was under the impression that most fire spells couldn't start a fire? Nonetheless:]

"Ah, but I've been setting down small pieces of burning tinder down everywhere already, m'lady. With Fire, I fuel the flames!" Torvallis! turned a cocky grin to Lady Val.

They turned to the small furry pouch on their shoulder: "What do you think cyanide, burn it high or burn it long?"

Torvallis!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Volkihere Malacalo on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:12 am

Volk quietly watches the flames that are being spawned from the hands of Lady Val and Torvallis!

Staring at both the mages, and the mana he is holding.

Volkihere Malacalo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timmean on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:23 pm

Timmean watches the pair of fire mages, his face contorting in a bizarre cocktail of emotions: elation that the burn has started and seems to be going well; confusion and disbelief at the absurd show the two mages are creating; and absolute horror that Torvallis had found an enthusiastic fellow pyromancer.

"Ah... um... Well, her name is Lady... Val, I think? She stopped by The Watering Hole on potato day. She was already at the inn when I arrived, and left shortly afterwards. If I remember right, she's a part of some noble family, who has dealings with goblins. I don't recall much beyond that. As for what she's doing with Torvallis, well... as you can see, she has some knowledge in fire magic. Earth as well, I believe, but her focus seems to be fire. And you know how Torvallis feels about fire..."
Timmean
Admin

View user profile http://epochnl.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ira the Elf on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:27 pm

"So... she shows up on Potato day and suddenly she and Torvallis! are friends? Who in their right mind encourages Torvallis!?" Ira exclaims. She looks on as the older Elf dances between the flames, lightly stepping between the brush. More importantly, where did she come from and what does she want? She doesn't look like the Elves from my village, she dresses so strangely. Instantly a plethora of questions begin to form in the young Elf's brain and she falls into a pensive silence as the burn spreads.

"Tim... do you think she knows my family? I mean, is it a coincidence that I get a letter from my parents just before she shows up?"
Ira the Elf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:35 pm

"Oh, Torvallis! who is your dear little... bean bag?" Lady Val asks delicately, finally noticing the strange ball of fur and beans perched on the Human's shoulder.

"Oh and Sheriff Malacalo," she says acutely aware of the young half-breed's eyes on her, "I highly recommend joining us over here if you intend on continuing your studies in the incendiary arts, it should be most, educational." She finishes the sentence with a polished smile, beckoning him with a gesture of her finger.
Lady Val

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Torvallis! on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:39 pm

"Well, I, uh, learned fire magic in a most unconventional way, and so my first attempts at making fire mana created only weak sprites. But I gave them fur jackets, and lots of food, and I talk to them like you're supposed to talk to plants to make them grow, and one day they'll be big, strong, fire mana! This one's Cyanide, and the other one is named Bartholomew. He's a bit shy around violent activities, (He's confided in me that one day, rather than doing something violent, he'd like to protect against water), so he's hiding right now"

Torvallis!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:16 am

"Ah, I see. Well perhaps once we are finished here you can tell me more about your unconventional methods of learning how to command the light of your Lord." she replies. What an interesting human.
Lady Val

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Volkihere Malacalo on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:24 am

Volk walks over to the mages. "I wish to learn all I can, but I do not have the ability to cast any spells yet, I will just stand here and watch."

Volkihere Malacalo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Torvallis! on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:50 am

"Ah, Volk, you'll be able to watch us cast more than a few fire spells today, you should watch carefully.

Now, spells are merely magical rituals for which the precise components have been determined. The material components are mana of the appropriate type, and all of the trouble of dealing with the intricacies of material components are dealt with in the forming of mana, which I will show you in time. The other necessary components are the somatic and verbal components.

The function of the somatic components are fairly intuitive; throwing a fireball, raising your hands to raise flames, waving your hands over an object to enchant, cupping your hand to hold a firelight. These all have to do with the forming and directing of the energy.

The verbal components are much more mysterious, and there are three main theories behind them, all of which are wrong.

The first one is the theory of magic words, which is the naive idea that the words used in the spells are precisely correct and a fundamental part of nature to make magic happen. This is a little hard to believe, seeing as all the spells seem to be in the current human tongue, and as we know from the ancient writings, language has changed over time. Unless language has changed towards the magical language, this makes quite the coincidence. And then there are still magicians in far away lands with different tongues, and the fae tongues most certainly contain spells. So this is clearly wrong.

The second theory is that of psychic intention, that saying the words correctly forces you to focus on magic in precisely the right manner to tell your mana what it should be doing. But then why can a dwarf speaking the low language cast spells that are spoken in our tongue? Our words should mean nothing to them, and yet they can cast our spells just the same. And then, one cannot cast spells by focusing on them, and one cannot change what a spell does by focusing on it. So this is clearly wrong.

The 3rd theory is an extension of the 2nd one, collective unconsciousness. It states that the magic rituals perform as the collective people around them believes they should perform. So you cannot alter your spells because of the expectations around you, and you must announce what it is your spell does for people around you to expect anything to happen, and therefore cause it to happen. This is clearly false because spells do not change whether they are cast alone in the woods, or in a tavern full of people, and it is also possible to cast spells around people who have never heard of those spells before.

With that in mind, watch what happens to the mana as we chant the fire spells, and watch how it changes as we move it and throw it; Watch how the mana fails to form, even after chanting, until we release the mana, and how it dissipates as the fireballs form in its stead

With fire I strike you for 3 points!"

(OOC: Reminder, whether or not different languages even exist, let alone the ones referenced, and whether all the other stuff, and whether how much is Torvallis! is bullshitting is all up to you folks)

Torvallis!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Volkihere Malacalo on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:45 am

"Torvallis I know you are impationt to have more worsipers for lord fire, I am impatint to learn how to use spells I've herd of somthing you need to learn after becoming aware before you can learn spells can you please teach me what I need to know. (Tier 1 Power)

Volkihere Malacalo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:43 pm

"Excellent! Now, we Elves do not need to focus on the studying aspect of magic use. Our magic is derived from the unseen Faerie's presence in this world and the traces it leaves. We need simply to meditate or call upon the essence of an element and with time we will come to know its secrets though the gifts of Faerie.

Although I cannot teach you the basic magical arts I can help you improve your form insomuch as posture, grace, style, and enunciation goes. However, if I am not mistaken, I believe you have some Fae blood yourself which we need to address. Orcs, although graced with Faerie's blessing, are not the most studious of the Fae and most have difficulties learning the mental and arcane arts. As a result, I feel that you must err on the side of caution and be extremely disciplined with yourself when it comes to your magical training, especially where your mental stamina is concerned. I would recommend working on your meditation skills in between your" here she looks briefly at the poorly concealed bottle of whisky in the half-breed's pocket, "other duties. As for Lord Fire, well I'm sure he will be pleased to have your worship."

"Now dear Torvallis! shall we show him how to harness the power of Fire?"

Lady Val

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top