Epoch on the Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maximilian (finally) returns

+2
Krond Thuliaga
Rob (Cast)
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Maximilian (finally) returns - Page 2 Empty Re: Maximilian (finally) returns

Post by Rob (Cast) Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:38 am

Max's face drops slightly. 'That is unfortunate. If we had something to work with, things might seem more encouraging. My friend noted in some of the reports there being discernable weak points on the beings... sword and arrow almost bouncing off them everywhere but the one part of their forms; not drawing blood, perse, but certainly illiciting cause to actually defend themselves, this usually being some point on their flank, logically so. This would mean they, as I mentioned, in all their dominion over our natural laws, are still at the basest level bound by them when they are forced to physically manifest. Perhaps they cannot entirely form themselves in a truly impermeable state and must compromise their power somewhere when they manifest, otherwise they would certainly afford themselves invulnerability proper. But, if you truly can recall no weaknesses throught perhaps they have furthered their mastery over this realm all the more, and have covered even those prior base weaknesses. Who knows. However, a trite saying does come to mind. "Try, try again, and try some more." Or at least, I would, in my stubborness.' Max smiles good naturedly, and returns to form. 'Is there anything else you can think of that I might help with? Perhaps anyone who might require training? I'm sure I have more information I might impart, but sadly my informant would not allow me to take any physical notes or diagrams. It is apparently rather sensitive information still.'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Rosewood Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:02 pm

*Joy perks up at the mention of training*

"I could use some training. I still vant to become a marksvoman. I even have money for you zis time."

Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Post by Ardin Gallagher Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Ardin gets up from his spot and heads over to join the conversation.

"As for attacking it I haven't tried, but the creature was certainly annoyed by my shield when it couldn't attack anyone through it. As powerful as this thing may be, it's magic can still be blocked.

Backing up, you said that creatures would be forced to manifest through Holdfast, but yet these things are appearing all over Annwm. Are they coalescing around Holdfast and spreading out, or are they appearing throughout as is?"
Ardin Gallagher
Ardin Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Max nods to Joy. 'Yes, my dear, I would certainly be willing to train you. Though perhaps not tonight, I should need a bit of rest. I do hope you folks are alright with my staying at the inn tonight.' (OOG: Separate thread for marksmanship (correct?) training the after) Max turns to Ardin. 'Ah, Sir Gallagher! It is good to know that shields prove useful, at least against those specific magicks... still, it would be wise to plan other defensive measures. As for the spawning of these creatures throughout the island, I myself have only witnessed the more bestial types, the ones you call helions and the white, furred ogres. I can only surmise -from what my informant told me, again- that in general, the creatures are not spatially bound by 'where' we consider the rift to be. They do not operate under those principles. Indeed, some scattered reports of these beings on the mainland have made their way here. The discrepancy occurs with the wild card, that being you people of Holdfast. As I said, if you heard, this net: net is a convenient term, but so much about what is happening here on a supernatural level is unpredictably complex... it would appear that with its establishing and now completion the true beings of this greater plane are in a well of sorts, funnelled in a strictly geographical sense to the source of their... repellant? Vice? It is confusing. I do not recall if you were present when I explained to Sir Degren and Krond here, but the prevailing theory (in the limited circles of research) is that the demonic creatures -the helions, white ogres, etc.- are the residual and unrefined thoughts and will of these greater beings... waste, willed into existence. This is why they appear so macabre and messy in how they are structured and formed. I can only guess that the white towers and other beings, that being existant of their plane proper, have a more direct connection with whatever purposes to interact with them. In short, that is another measure of how successful hou have so far been: you have managed to drag at least a portion of them into yet another restriction of our world that they loathe so much, that being bound by space, perhaps even time. Or do you have your own theories as well? I must admit, based on what I was told I must extrapolate more than I am used to. Even to those who seek out this knowledge so much is a mystery.'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ardin Gallagher Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Ardin's heart drops once he hears that these beasts are on the mainland, and stares blankly ahead, lost in horror for several moments before struggling to regain his composure. Ardin begins fidgeting his left hand and there's a sense of urgency to his questions.

"The mainland? Whereabouts did these reports say the creatures were sighted? Near towns, in the wilderness? How far west do they go?"
Ardin Gallagher
Ardin Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Max notices Ardin's countenance take a turn, and his face also falls in reponse. 'I am afraid I do not know specifics, my friend. Governing authourities there have their own investigations going on, but from what I have heard most sightings have been limited to settlements and loosely populated communities off of major cities. It would seem that larger towns and cities have been relatively unaffected, hence many municipalities' rather lacklustre measures taken. All in all, it would seem that... these creatures spawning is not geographically bound by where we believe this rift's "location" to be. Reports, however scattered, come from as far west as we may hear.' Max clears his throat, realizing he may have said more than is tactful. He leans forward and looks Ardin in the eye. 'Ardin... take heart. You know as well as I do that there are far more developments and resources for people's protection over there. It is less of our situation, as we struggle to find foothold on this island. I am certain that people are being well protected; many independant militant groups have great sway there with strong leaders and connections, even if some authourities may be overlooking things.'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ardin Gallagher Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:01 am

Ardin takes a deep breath and calms himself. He continues in a softer tone.

"My hometown, my family, they aren't prepared for this. The elders are psychics, they might have a chance at fending off a single hellion, but the tribe has no defensive capabilities, we've never needed any. If these creatures suddenly show up there..." Ardin's sentence trails off as he shudders.

"I can't stay here, I... I can't sit down and wait for some clue to show up while my tribe gets wiped out. It's been over a moon now, and as much good news as we've received we're still no closer to finding out how to fix this rift than we were when we finished tethering the points! What is your next course of action Maximilian, where are you headed after here?"
Ardin Gallagher
Ardin Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:51 pm

Max looks down, feeling slight shame in bringing such distressing news. 'I'm... so sorry, Ardin, I did not realize. I did not realize how dire it might be for others. That was thoughtless of me.' He gazes out the window. 'The rift is no longer the cause for concern. It will open fully, that is inevitable. It ws never able to be dealt with, or closed. Preparations now fall to intercepting the force they assume form as when they finally decide to let the rift tear open and spill into our plane; protected of course by thr valiant efforts of you people, this net. As i said they will hold it closed as long as they can to build up power, and I can only assume that they will also use this time to keep buffeting our world with these monsters, to weaken and drain us. I should not have been so dismissive of the mainland's plight.' He straightens up, and starts to rise from his seat. 'After I am done here, I will be headed off back to Ner Batin to see what the situation is concerned with miltary mindedness and and possibly aiding settlements; there has not been enough comraderie in that sense and now we all need to look out for each other. I will be trying to avoid the centre of the island again though, I need to see my friendout west anyway. Why do you ask, Ardin?'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ardin Gallagher Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:39 am

Ardin stands alongside Maximilian and puts his hand on his shoulder, speaking solemnly.

"You should not be sorry Maximilian, you have done great in figuring this out, and what you are doing now is bravery beyond most. You have been invaluable so far, as I'm sure you'll continue to be.

However, it is my wish to head back to the Confederacy, to ensure their safety and inform them of the greater situation. The path back is unknown to me, and it is dangerous to travel alone. I asked because I have a request for you, if you are willing. I ask that once you are finished here, we travel west together, for protection's sake. I do not doubt your martial prowess, but I cannot in good conscious allow you to take such a perilous journey yourself."

Ardin pauses for a moment, and pulls out his spellbook and an earth mana.

"You said last you were in town that if someone offered to heal your arm, you would accept, however much you stated that you didn't want to be a burden. I have known you for only a short time, Maximilian, but in that short time you have proven time and time again to have a steady head and a heart of gold. Aiding you will never be a burden, consider this a thanks on behalf of Holdfast, and all of Annwm."

Ardin concentrates on his spellbook as he holds the mana against it and recites the magic for the first time, 'The earth will regrow your left arm', gently extending his hand and touching Maximilian's shoulder.
Ardin Gallagher
Ardin Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Max listens intently to what Ardin has to say, looking slightly uneased at the mention of traveling to the mainland.
When he reaches out to heal him, however, Max looks alert. 'Sir Ardin, wait--'
Before he can finish, Ardin's hand casts the spell. Ardin feels the 'recoil' of the mana leaving his hand and successfully dispelling its effect. But the earthen, amber glow of the spell seems to distort at its target, the energy suddenly spreading and dissipating, as if it were suddenly rejected. Though the spell laid true, Max is still one limb down.
Max looks ashamed. 'I told you all before. It cannot be healed. There is a seal on it against healing arts.' He exhales in exasperation. 'Forgive me, everyone. This is my own choice and thusly my own consequence to bear. I pray you respect that.' He addresses Ardin again directly. 'Thank you, Ardin. Your good will means much. Truly it does. And I would be remiss to not accompany you back to your home.' He pauses. 'I... am hesitant to return to Imperial presence. Even if we travel the backroads, their presence is still stronger there. But you need help and this is a noble cause, one I can empathize with. If you would but give me the night to clear my own head and give Joy the training I promised her... there are some things I need to consider before committing to this. Please do not take my hesitance for disloyalty to you folks. At this point I have more faith in this town and all its people than I have had in anyone in a long, long time.'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Rosewood Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:20 pm

*Joy looks absolutely confused*

"Vha..?"

*Joy looks at Maximilian*

"Vhat dark bargain did you.. an ex-soldier.. enter, zat you gave up your arm?"

*Joy looks away suddenly*

"Actually, eet's probably better zat I do not know. I am sure ze reasons are quite personal."

*Joy looks at Ardin*

"You must teach me how to do zat.. vone of zese days. After all,"

*Joy looks at her own hands, still somewhat dirty after hours spent digging up potatoes*

"I'm still getting acquainted vith ze earth."

*Joy looks at Maximilian again*

"I vill be ready vhenever you are ready tomorrow morning, Maximilian. I vouldn't vant to keep Ardin vaiting."

Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Post by Ardin Gallagher Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Ardin looks shocked, and ashamed of himself for completing the spell when Maximilian told him to wait, and stutters out an apology.

"I... I'm sorry Maximilian. I thought... I didn't..."

Ardin turns away from Maximilian, hanging his head in shame.

"I am sorry, I truly am. I did not mean to cause this upset, I... I should not have done that."

Ardin goes to leave the inn, turning back to say one final thing before heading out.

"Please, Maximilian, take your time in town to rest, recover, and think about things. By no means should we proceed until you are fully ready to, and I apologize if you think I intended otherwise. I don't know what you are referring to with returning to Imperial presence, but know that we share the desire to keep away."

Ardin turns to address both Joy and Maximilian.

"Take the time you need for training, and do not think you're keeping me waiting Joy, I'll sleep easier knowing the town is better guarded in my absence. For now, there are a few things I must attend to myself. Let me know when, and if, you're ready to head out Maximilian, and again I am truly sorry for what I have done."
Ardin Gallagher
Ardin Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Krond Thuliaga Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:40 pm

*Krond gets up from his seat*

"Well I think that's enough touchy feely stuff for now."

*Krond walks over to where Gram is resting up against the wall, then grabs and shoulders it*

"If your up for it in the morning Max, I'd like some practice with this thing" Krond points at Gram. "It never hurts to practice your skills with allies. And I can always be better."

"Also, if you need assistance in your travels then I'd like to offer my help. After all, this is something that affects not just Holdfast; but, the entire world as well. And there is strength in numbers."
Krond Thuliaga
Krond Thuliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:38 pm

Max nods respectfully to Ardin. 'Do not dwell on it, Ardin. You meant well. I will let you know tomorrow my decision.'
He then turns to Joy. 'Yes, Joy, we will absolutely train tomorrow; and as Ardin says, do not worry about the time we take. It is never good to rush training. I will see you in the morning.' He nods affirmatively.
Listening to Krond, Max grins. 'Indeed, enough "touchy feely stuff". I would very much like to loosen my own muscles and mind tomorrow, Krond. Was there anything you had been looking t9 learn as well? In particular I mean. You seem to be progressing with handling that weapon quite well on your own.'
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ardin Gallagher Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Ardin nods and takes his leave, heading out of town for the night.
Ardin Gallagher
Ardin Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Krond Thuliaga Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:27 pm

"My fighting style is one my father taught me when I was young; and as much as I have practiced, it can only get me so far on my own. What I need is more training on the finer points of my technique. And, more importantly, how to use this weapon to its fullest potential. It's no secret that Gram is unlike most swords you see; while I have slowly begun to get the hang of it, I've still got a long way to go if I'm ever gonna be good enough to achieve my goal. That's why I was hoping you could help me. Maybe another set of eyes can point out some things that I cannot see for myself."

*Krond stairs at Max with intently*

"I ask for your guidance"
Krond Thuliaga
Krond Thuliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:27 pm

Max gives a slight bow in acknowledgement. 'Then my guidance you have, Krond. This place will need all the strong handsnit can get and I will help however I can. Once I finish with Joy's training tomorrow shall we set to it?' (OOG: the thread can be done simultaneously, but chronologically in the late afternoon following Joy's training)
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Krond Thuliaga Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:55 pm

"That works fine for me. Thanks. I'll see you in the morning."

*Krond finishes the remainder of his beer in one chug, then brings the glass over to the kitchen and places amongst the rest of the dirty dishes*

"G'night"

*Krond leaves and makes his way back over to the Knight's camp*
Krond Thuliaga
Krond Thuliaga

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Rosewood Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:08 pm

"I too, am feeling ze dust gnomes on my eyes. If zere iz nozing else Maximilian, I vill go get some rest.."

*Joy finishes her beer and begins to get up*
Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:56 am

Maximilian bids Krond good night as well, before turning to Joy. 'No, that is all from me I believe, Miss Joy. I shall see you in the morning after a light breakfast. Rest well!' Max himself begins to prepare a bedspread for himself upon the benches of the dining tables from a light pack he has.
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Rosewood Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:10 am

*Joy looks at Maximilian doing this and begins to open her mouth*

*She closes her mouth again*

"Good night Maximilian. Good night everyone!"

*She leaves*
Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Maximilian (finally) returns - Page 2 Empty The following evening

Post by Rob (Cast) Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:55 pm

The following evening, after Maximilian has finished training Joy and Krond and the day is spent, he returns to the inn. Leaving another rock with whoever is minding the counter, he quietly seats himself with a hot water and cuts some bread. He waits for Ardin, who he suspects will show before long, as dinner is approaching.
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Maximilian (finally) returns - Page 2 Empty Re: The following evening

Post by Ardin Gallagher Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Shortly after, Ardin comes into the inn. Spotting Max, he heads over and takes a seat next to him.

"Ah, hello Maximillian. Has the day treated you well?"
Ardin Gallagher
Ardin Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob (Cast) Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:47 am

Max smiles. 'Indeed, Ardin, it has. Most productive.' He shifts in his seat a little, looking apprehensive. 'I said I would follow up with you regarding your journey to the mainland and my possible accompaniment. If you don't mind, may I speak to you in private?' Max ushers himself out the side entrance, beckoning Ardin to follow. (OOG: conversation moved to PM)
Rob (Cast)
Rob (Cast)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2