Epoch on the Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Town Meeting

+17
Malva
Phineas J. Pennefeather
Volkihere Malacalo
Degren Brightforge
Pearrl
Ardin Gallagher
Talia Swanheart
Bishop Fairchild
Jaya
Ivy
Datura Shinso
Pierre
Sylvie
Auron Warfield
Grayfeared the Whitehawk
Gurok
Joy Rosewood
21 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Town Meeting - Page 6 Empty Re: Town Meeting

Post by Lady Val Fri May 26, 2017 8:59 pm

"The sub order of Flowers was an idea that some of the Fae inhabitants of had. The Knights of the Order of Iron takes a vow to defend the town. Many Fae feel that it would be inappropriate to expect humans to defend the Faerie circle or the Fae members of Holdfast when we do not share in that burden ourselves. As a result they wanted to propose the idea that the Knights could have multiple orders under the same banner with different objectives. The Order of Iron would be focused on military prowess and the defence of the town as a whole. The Order of Flowers would focus on protecting the town with an added Oath to protect the Faerie and elemental circles, the future multi-faith temple, and the culture of the town. It was also suggested that a third order be added to the Knights that focused on espionage, traps, alchemy, and magic called the Order of Shadows. Its defence of Holdfast would be less tangible than the others but would likely involve roguish military tactics and subterfuge. An additional Oath would be sworn in this case as well."

"These are, of course, suggestions, however I feel that it is unfair to the humans and kin of Holdfast if we Fae do not take an equal share in the defence of the town. The name The Order of Flowers would simply highlight the differences in objectives of the two, potentially, three groups. Although, I will admit that splitting up the Knights into sub-Orders may weaken the overall unity of the group."
Lady Val
Lady Val

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Fri May 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Degren thinks for a moment, " we are similar in mind, At times, Val. Im unsure how I feel about a new order separating the Fae, I have given considerable thought to an order of shadow, and have even bestowed upon it that very name. My comrades and I have actually decided to make a small change to the way we run the Knights. It seems many are willing to fight, yet they shy away from the vows; as such, we are creating a less formal avenue for new members to join in. These people would be officially part of the order, and thus could accrue points towards advancement and reward within the order, but would not need to follow the code as we do. The role of the Knights within that order would he one of the fighting elites, and passage into Knighthood would be much more regulated. A test of martial skill and a test of character would have to be passed before gaining access.
This change takes the order towards a different path; one where we stand as more of a guild. Many of us are not great warriors, but I see both willingness and potential in many of you. I've contracted good Krond Thuliaga to stand as our Master of Arms. To those within the order who wish to learn, they are offered the chance to train with him.
Once any new members are well trained, we can separate them into task forces, or teams, with specific sub-goals in mind-- these teams can be set to tasks such as espionage and the protection of specific people's and areas.
On another note, I assure you that the order has never been exclusive to humans. When we first began, the differences between men and elves were far from mind. I hope, one day, to see a Fae past the trials and name him or herself a knight."
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val Sat May 27, 2017 7:28 am

"Indeed, never have I believed the order to be exclusive to humans. Had Allura stayed I think that she would have been the first Fae member of the Knights. That being said I think regulation is definitely in order. A Knighthood is not something to be given lightly as it carries a formal Oath of Fealty and Responsibility. In truth I have been worried we are Knighting people too hastily of late and am glad there is now a formal points system and rites of passage in place for squires to ascend through the ranks."

"As for the idea of teams, I believe you mentioned this before. Having one or two healers per team plus several melee fighters and mages. Going forward I think rations of potions and scrolls for each team may also prove useful. That way if a healer or medic is lost, the team can revive them quickly and retreat to safety."
Lady Val
Lady Val

Back to top Go down

Post by Phineas J. Pennefeather Sat May 27, 2017 8:13 am

Phineas puts up his vote and turns to address the crowd.

"This vote is awfully premature. I am in favour of a council of five not three. A council of three has already proven to not work."

The Halfling continues.

"The fairest group to govern this place, in my opinion, should be made up of Lady Val, Hugo, Malva, Jaya and Degren, as my top picks!"

"And, with the trouble that is coming, the most important thing is to pick the Sheriffs!" Phineas states. "Gurok, and in spite of current concerns, and Pierre with the newcomer Arden as a deputy sheriff in training seems to be the best choice!"
Phineas J. Pennefeather
Phineas J. Pennefeather

Back to top Go down

Post by Durkis Sat May 27, 2017 8:14 am

"I have to sshay, thissh whole busshinessh of planning for violenssh sshtrikessh me assh perhapssh unecesshessary? Doessh thissh town really insshpire ssho much conflict? I've lossht a lot of tribe chieftainssh to battle and combat that I thought wassh unneeded, and to be honessht, your town doessh't have many people to losshe"

Durkis

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Rosewood Sat May 27, 2017 8:42 am

"Why did the last council fail?"
Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Sat May 27, 2017 8:45 am

"The old council failed because it was too large. The members because impossible to gather, and important business was ended by the time they were all found. That is why, master Phineas, we need a smaller council. And as far as the sheriff goes, do we really need one? We could grant more authority to the Knights and simply use them as the tool in which to uphold our laws."
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Volkihere Malacalo Sat May 27, 2017 9:02 am

Volk fake coughs "Fascism!"
"The point of a council is to have multiple view points making decisions, I don't believe a group of militaristic, human, male, warriors, makeing every decision for our town, that the group has proven in the past that they do not favor diplomacy, the Elven incident proved that, but I digress. My vote stands for a council of 3 with Degren, Lady Val, and Greyfeard, with a sheriff that only has authority to act if the council permits they're action, that is a reason we Benefit from a small council, and for sheriff I vote Hugo who was my primary choice since I met him."

Volkihere Malacalo

Back to top Go down

Post by Durkis Sat May 27, 2017 9:03 am

"Well, the differensshce between a knight and a sshheriff, is that the sshheriff is duly resshponsshible to all of the people, sshometimes through direct election, while a knight is resshponisshible to their order and vowssh. At timessh, those thingssh can diverge, and then it issh important to have a ssheriff to enforssh the common law assh issh, to maintain the hegemony of the populasshe by maintaining their faith in the jusshtisshe sshysshtem.

If the knightssh were the ssheriff, insshtead of perhapssh a knight holding the posshition of the ssheriff, then any disshtrussht of the knightssh would lead to sshocial incohesshion and perhapssh to anarchy.

Assh I have already witnessshhed here, there issh in fact disshtrussht of the knightssh among a population that presshumessh to sshpeak for all fae, apparently.

Thussh I would sshugessht two ssheparate modessh of law: A sshivilian and a military law, by which the knights form the latter and enforce the latter on their own rankssh, and the sshivilian law upon which the ressht of ussh are bound.

Thissh would not be disshimilar to the elven code that the elevssh already bind themsshleves to, but enforsshment would be by military rank rather than by divine retribution which never ssheemssh to care about sshlavery or misshtreatment of non-elvessh."

Durkis

Back to top Go down

Post by Phineas J. Pennefeather Sat May 27, 2017 9:20 am

“As Degren says, the last council of, what was it eleven or thirteen, was too large, but three is way too small. That’s why five seems just about right. And a good mix of Fae and humans seems right, that’s why Lady Val, Hugo, Malva, Jaya and Degren would make a good council.”

Phineas pointed looks at the former sheriff to acknowledge his last comment.

“Of course, contribution from the knights does make sense, which is why Pierre, or perhaps Dutura or Auron, should be one of the Sheriffs,” he states clearly. “As obvious, Gurok has been chosen by the Faerie themselves, so that is a command from high that cannot be questioned. Unless, of course everybody wants to be turned into something blue with a tail!”
Phineas J. Pennefeather
Phineas J. Pennefeather

Back to top Go down

Post by Ardin Gallagher Sat May 27, 2017 9:21 am

*Ardin stands up and proceeds to pull the voting sheet from the notice board*

"If I may, we are going to proceed with the vote for council to be concluded,"

*Looking at the list, Ardin straightens himself and proceeds*

"While it appears not everyone has been able to place their vote on the list, these results are quite conclusive and in line with the previous discussions. Phineas, Gurok, Durkish, while your voices of council type have been heard, the town has quite decisively decided that forming a council consisting of 3 members is the best approach moving forward.

We now move to the vote of who those three council members are to be, which to no small lead are as follows: Lady Val, Degren Brightforge, and Grayfeared Whitehawk. Should you accept this role, you shall be responsible for the safety of Holdfast and it's citizens, and be bound by your word and duties. Should you feel you are unable to perform the duties requested of you, the offer shall be extended to the next of the supported, Pierre Graver and Volk.

For those of you who feel this vote may be premature and carried out in manners less than ideal, that is something that can be discussed when given the time but for now we need to move forward, and the council as it now stands is all we have to do so. I ask that we receive everyone's cooperation in supporting the decision that was made. While certain responsibilities fall to the council, remember that we all share the responsibility of protecting this town, and cooperation is the best way of upholding that responsibility,"

*Turning to each of the named, Ardin asks and awaits response*

"Lady Val, do you accept position within the council and swear to base your actions off what's best for the town as a whole?"

"Degren Brightforge, do you accept position within the council and swear to base your actions off what's best for the town as a whole?"

"Grayfeared Whitehawk, do you accept position within the council and swear to base your actions off what's best for the town as a whole?"
Ardin Gallagher
Ardin Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Durkis Sat May 27, 2017 9:25 am

Durkis leans back into the wall from the bench they're sitting on.

"Ah yessh, thinly veiled democratic fasshsshisshm, good memoriessh! And we manage to sshee both tyranny of the majority and tyranny of the minority through sshlected polling and disshenfranchisshment of the elctorate! I've usshed thosshe tacticssh many timessh!"

Durkis holds up their ale: "Cheerssh, to the new town counsshil!"

Durkis

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Rosewood Sat May 27, 2017 9:27 am

*Joy looks at Durkis*

"Vat are you talking about? You are using many vords I am unfamiliar vith..."
Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val Sat May 27, 2017 9:35 am

Lady Val stands to address everyone. "I do accept a position within the council and swear to do what is best for the people of this town whether they be Fae, human, or Kin."
Lady Val
Lady Val

Back to top Go down

Post by Grayfeared the Whitehawk Sat May 27, 2017 9:38 am

Grayfeared stands and gives a small bow, "I, Grayfeared Whitehawk, humbly accept this position. I swear to remain a pillar of neutrality and to do what is best for the whole town."
Grayfeared the Whitehawk
Grayfeared the Whitehawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Durkis Sat May 27, 2017 9:40 am

"Well, we're ssheeing both the taking over by sshpesshial interessht groupssh, and the usshe of numberssh to sshilensshe minoritiessh while claiming to derive a mandate from the will of the peoplessh. To consshentrate the power, thissh wassh formed through falssh muchotomiessh and through a voting period which appearssh to have been disshigned to allow not even half of the current population to vote! Thissh wassh done irreesshpective of voting blocssh and without addressshing misshgivingssh or consshernssh.

I approve of thesshe methodssh entirely! I have usshed them extensshively mysshelf in order to passsh the particular legisshlature I sshaw as wisshessht for the tribessh many timessh before. Particularly when I expected that the orcssh I was leading would disshagree with what were actually the wisshest wayssh of moving forward . . . they would rather die in combat than admit they were wrong about the utility of dying in combat"

Durkis

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Sat May 27, 2017 9:41 am

" I, too, accept this position. I will consider it an extension of my vows, and will do whatever it takes to protect this town, and, more importantly, the people within it. I will count on everyone to help aid me in decisions, and will heed good council. Thank you. "
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Sat May 27, 2017 9:42 am

(OOG: does anyone else find it difficult to read Durkish's posts? I can never tell if it's Shaun Connery or Deckard Cain haha)
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Rosewood Sat May 27, 2017 9:43 am

*Joy blinks at Durkis*

"Vell, hopefully it vill vork out in ze end! I mean, vat's ze vurst zat could go vrong?"

*Joy smiles*
Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Post by Durkis Sat May 27, 2017 9:57 am

"Well, the very worssht issh that the town could collasshpe into anarchy, or perhaps communisshm. Although some people would argue that'ssh not a bad thing, esshpesshially if they opposshe imperialisshtic doctrine.

I sshupposshe there'ssh a chansshe of a sshivil war . . . although consshidering the sshidessh, it would be more of a military coup or perhapssh a doctrinal depotal depending on who sshatrtssh the whole thing."

Durkis

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Sat May 27, 2017 10:18 am

"Before we begin the next item of interest, we should appoint trusted seconds. We live in dangerous times in a dangerous place. We may not always be around during the most important times. For me, I would appoint Sir Pierre as my second, to speak for me should I ever have no voice."
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Grayfeared the Whitehawk Sat May 27, 2017 10:47 am

"If he will accept, I would like to appoint Bikbun as my second. For I feel he is a neutral party that truly has the towns best interest at heart."
Grayfeared the Whitehawk
Grayfeared the Whitehawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Malva Sat May 27, 2017 1:02 pm

Malva, who had been sitting quietly in the room since before the meeting started, finally speaks up: "I have and idea. How about every time a person dies at the hand of our government, the positions go up for re-election. This would ensure that if the council makes a decision that is not in the majority of the town's best interest, they can be removed from the council swiftly and with little argument. If the killing was what the town wanted, then naturally the council would remain as-is."
Malva
Malva

Back to top Go down

Post by Malva Sat May 27, 2017 1:05 pm

"It would also ensure that every death is worth going into an election over, which while it is a low bar, it's a nice safeguard."
Malva
Malva

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Sat May 27, 2017 1:11 pm

" that isn't a bad idea. It would help us ensure that life isn't needlessly taken, and ensures that we don't make rash or selfish decisions."
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next