Epoch on the Rock
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Town Meeting

+17
Malva
Phineas J. Pennefeather
Volkihere Malacalo
Degren Brightforge
Pearrl
Ardin Gallagher
Talia Swanheart
Bishop Fairchild
Jaya
Ivy
Datura Shinso
Pierre
Sylvie
Auron Warfield
Grayfeared the Whitehawk
Gurok
Joy Rosewood
21 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Town Meeting - Page 5 Empty Re: Town Meeting

Post by Degren Brightforge Fri May 26, 2017 8:04 am

" I know just as well as you do, but wounds take time to heal. It doesn't help when you keep grinding salt into old wounds. We're trying to get things done here, and if you keep aggravating the fae against us, you'll only succeed in seeing us silenced and without voice in what happens in the future."

He gives Joy a quick smile and nod before snapping his gaze back to Datura.
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierre Fri May 26, 2017 8:07 am

Pierre stands up from the table, "Thank you for your nomination friends." He then proceeds to walk towards Sylvie. "And merci-beaucoup pour vous, mademoiselle" as he gently lifts her hand and places a gently kiss on it.
Walking to wards Datura now, he takes him by the back of his armor (grapple 4) and drags him out to the door. "If you will excuse us for a moment" saying to the tavern members.
Out on the pouch of the tavern, Pierre puts Datura in the corner. Speaking quietly to him, so that people inside would have a hard time hearing. "Listen, there's no point in causing rifts between the citizens hear. You can voice your opinions here and there, but goddamn, try to be a little respectful. We're knights dammit. When any one of us steps out of line, it looks bad on all of us. And you weren't there for when those elves came into town, stop speaking for the ones that were there." Pierre stops lecturing Datura and brings him back inside. He then pays for another tall flagon of ale for Datura.
Talking to Jaya, "If you are referring the 'kill first ask questions later' to those elves that came into town, I don't remember your presence in the matter. So don't assume you know exactly what happened. And I'm sorry about Lessa, but the thing about sacrifices is that they are a choice. And sometimes they mean much more than most can believe, trust me, I know. Moving forward from those situations, just be respectful to all parties, even if you don't know the entire story."
Going back to his glass of wine, "Now the thing about politics, is that everyone involved, believe they can't be wrong in their idea. I'm guilty of this from time to time, but I try to keep all options available, sort them out with pros and cons and make my decision when I think I have enough evidence. Personally, I would love to have a 5-9 size council where we can have representatives for every faction. But the problem with it is that when an occasion happens that need immediate action, pulling that size of a group together to conjure something up will take too long. I suggest start small, and if the system can work with basic principles, look into expanding after. The sheriff should be able to take part in these meetings and voice their opinion, but a deciding vote should not be in that power."
Pierre takes a quick break from speaking and an audible sigh can be heard. "Things happen in this town rather quickly, we need to be as equally quick with our actions, if not faster. Or somebody is going to do something stupid and we'll have more problems to deal with. And no matter what we decide to do, there's going to be at least one person that's not going to be happy with it, but that's politics, that's the way it is. If I don't get what I want, so be it. I'll deal with it, so long as something good comes from it."
"I vote a 3 member council, elected by members of Holdfast. My votes for council are Lady Val, Degren, and Greyfeared. My vote for sheriff is Gurok as well. And I would like to mention that I too am a fan of you, Ardin, but you are too new to this town for now. Get to know the people here and continue showing your good character and you may have an important role in this town sooner than you think."
Pierre
Pierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Fri May 26, 2017 8:20 am

"Agreed. Ardin would make a fine choice, but he is yet fresh to this town. Given a few more months, he might make a fine option. I look forward to seeing where he goes in the future. You speak wisdom, as usual, Pierre-- though I cannot agree with your nomination for Gurok. I hold nothing against the woman, but I have seen signs that she, or you for that matter, are not of your own mind when doing so. Beyond that, I've seen her grow overly angry and emotional during times of stress, and I believe our Sheriff should be cool minded... Though it hurts me to say it, for I fear it may rob me of a trusted commander, I believe you fit this role perfectly. "
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Volkihere Malacalo Fri May 26, 2017 8:24 am

A voice perks up from the back of the inn
"We should keep voting, put me in for 3 council members, and the sheriffs power being lowered so the sheriff only does the work of the council, and has no real power without the councils word. I vote for Greyfeard, Lady Val, Degren, to be on the council, and Hugo to be the new sheriff." Volk sits back down.

Volkihere Malacalo

Back to top Go down

Post by Volkihere Malacalo Fri May 26, 2017 8:25 am

"How about we keep only one person from each faction at a position of power."
Volk shouts.

Volkihere Malacalo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvie Fri May 26, 2017 8:25 am

*Sylvie smiles and blushes at the kiss on her hand, then let's out a small giggle*
Sylvie
Sylvie

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Fri May 26, 2017 8:33 am

"Why are you suddenly shouting, Volk?"
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaya Fri May 26, 2017 9:07 am

“I agree with this newcomer they make a good point, what is your name? Welcome to Holdfast by the way” Jaya smiles at the blue robed Orc.

“Degren that sounds like something that would work well, Three is a good number for the council. I also agree that we should let Lady Val have one of those positions. She has done much for this town and she is someone everyone trusts and a lot of people look to her for guidance and in times of need. She always keeps a cool and proper mind at all times. She would be the perfect candidate to represent the fae. I suggest we let the knights chose someone to be represented on this council and then maybe one of the champions?”

She listens to Pierre and nods. “I was there and I did help when things went down, the female was knocked out and the other was rendered unable to defend himself with a combination of burnout and my own magic. I don’t know what happened with the third but I know two of them were rendered non threats very quickly in a way that never costed them their lives and I don’t see how it needed to escalate further. I was there and am entitled to my opinion. Thank you for your own sacrifice, it didn’t go unappreciated”
Jaya
Jaya

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Fri May 26, 2017 9:22 am

" I believe Grayfeared would make a good third choice. He stands as a neutral party, aligned with neither the fae nor the more... extreme... humans. A good tie breaker between the two. I second his nomination."
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val Fri May 26, 2017 10:05 am

As if on cue Lady Val walks into the Inn. "Sorry for the delay everyone, I heard the sound of the horn from the road but I was still a ways from Holdfast. Is everything alright?"
Lady Val
Lady Val

Back to top Go down

Post by Joy Rosewood Fri May 26, 2017 10:14 am

*Joy gets up from her seat*

"Everyzing iz alright! Ve are having ze town meeting. Do you vant anyzing to drink?"
Joy Rosewood
Joy Rosewood

Back to top Go down

Post by Ardin Gallagher Fri May 26, 2017 10:49 am

“Thank you for your words Pierre, and welcome Lady Val. We are having discussions of what forms of governance Holdfast should adopt, and currently there is large support for a three-member council, with yourself, Degren, and Grayfeared as it’s members,”

*Ardin scribbles down some more notes.*

“As for my vote, I’m still of the mind that having groups decide of their individual representatives would be best, but as the town leans towards the more rigid three-member council, I would go with Lady Val, Degren, and Hugo as the members,” *Turning to Grayfeared* “meaning no disrespect of course, but our interactions have been rather limited.

As for sheriff, I’m unsure that you would be capable of fulfilling the role of sheriff, Gurok. Your emotions seemed to get the best of you on more than one occasion, can you be trusted to uphold the will of a council with the emotional burdens you carry right now? The title of sheriff, while it doesn’t carry any power itself, cannot be given out to just anyone. Whoever earns the title will need to swear to their duties and uphold them in times of great stress, and the duties cannot be in abeyance for any reason, personal or otherwise,”
Ardin Gallagher
Ardin Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Pearrl Fri May 26, 2017 11:16 am

Pearrl walks in yawning and straightening her white hat. She startles a bit when she sees the gathered people, but quietly collects a drink from the bar and sits down as near Degren or Pierre as possible. She pulls out her book and pulls her feather pen from her hat and begins to scribble, anticipating that someone will give her a quick lowdown on what's happening. <I'll assume someone shares the basics with her - no need to rp it.>
Pearrl
Pearrl

Back to top Go down

Post by Zar/Herr Fri May 26, 2017 11:20 am

"I'd like to suggest having two small councils; one civil and one military."
Herr suggests, with his hand raised; he lowers his hand and continues.
"There would only be three in each council such that the "full council" would be six but when a situation arises that is more suited towards one, they will make the decision; if it's unclear of which council should decide on an issue, it will be a combined effort. This way, if there's an immediate issue, the military council can briefly convene and act swiftly but if it's more political, the civil council can take their time to ponder. This will also lessen yhe responsabilites on each council. As for sherrif, it shouldn't exist. The council should be capable of enforcing the law; especially the military council. I very much agree with the new Orc's idea's and suggest that, if applicable, each group may select one member for each council and if there are more than three people per council, the town votes collectively.
If this were the case, i would want to see the civil council consist of Lady val, Pierre and ... "
he ponders.
"Malva? Or Bikbun. They seem rather level headed.
And the military council consist of Degren, Volk and.. well me, but otherwise, Gurok."
If there's a sherrif, i vote Gurok.
Zar/Herr
Zar/Herr

Back to top Go down

Post by Grayfeared the Whitehawk Fri May 26, 2017 11:21 am

"Welcome lady Val. If the position is offered to me I'll take it. I understand that you won't speak of my name Ardin, for it is the same reason I can't speak of yours. I can speak of my deeds though. I have divided my marks equally between the town and the Knights. I have vowed to continue this for every mark I have so as not to upset power balances. I am neutrality."
Grayfeared the Whitehawk
Grayfeared the Whitehawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Volkihere Malacalo Fri May 26, 2017 11:43 am

Volk speaks up again
"maybe we should keep the councils small and simple, only enough members to keep order, and do we think its wise to have someone be on both the council, and in the sheriffs office."

Volkihere Malacalo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Fri May 26, 2017 11:48 am

" If there aren't any objections, I move that we finalize the creation of the council. It seems there is a very large list of things to be done, and having a council might help move them along in an orderly fashion."
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ardin Gallagher Fri May 26, 2017 12:51 pm

“Your opinion has been recorded… Herr, is it? You bring up a valid point about not needing a sheriff, for indeed the council should be able to enforce their own rules, but it would never hurt to have one dedicated to upholding the will of the town, whereas the council would be more dedicated to the forming of new legislature and the making of decisions. Remember, we need these systems in place for the worst case scenarios, and without a dedicated upholder of the law we run the risk of trouble in the town during a critical council meeting.

As for two councils, I only see that as a means of dividing us further. Between the 3 members of council there should be more than enough expertise across all aspects to form sound tactical decisions during battle and cunning diplomatic trades during peace.

As for the finalization of a council, Degren, we must hear more people’s votes before coming to a conclusion. While I’ve heard of support one way or another, the only definite votes give an unclear outcome. I propose we leave voting open until noon tomorrow to give everyone a chance of voice. Holdfast has lasted this long without a council, and for the sake of peace and so no one feels they never had a say in the matter, one more day won’t hurt. Having this done fast will mean nothing if it’s not done right and leaving anyone out of the vote is definitely not doing it right,”

*Ardin rips a clean page from his book and after scribbling for a few seconds gets up and pins it on the notice board*

“We shall leave this as a means of casting your vote. I ask that anyone capable of doing so to please assist those who cannot cast their own vote in writing. Other issues, such as the need for a sheriff, can be resolved once we have a council formed, as they will expedite these meetings and will be responsible for such topics. In the interim, are there any topics that can be discussed without a council?”

<OOG: I’ll be creating another thread to post votes in, as this thread got too complicated to be 100% sure of who voted for what. If your character is illiterate, assume that Ardin or another literate character has helped.>
Ardin Gallagher
Ardin Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Durkis Fri May 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Durkis smiles at Jaya, "Well hello there! Alwayssh a pleasshure to sshee a faun about! I'm Durkissh, what are you doing after all thissh noisshe?"

Durkis

Back to top Go down

Post by Zar/Herr Fri May 26, 2017 2:47 pm

Unsure of the name of who responded to him, Herr states:

"I'm inclined to passionately disagree that two councils would be divisive. The reason for having two, as i stated is specialty! Lady Val would not understand war and it's consequences like Degren or another warrior would, just as they would likely not understand sensitive politics like Lady Val and others like her would. It is FAR less efficienct to make a farmer decide on the metals to use for a sword than it is to get someone who knows the details! Even if it's not "two councils" i strongly suggest that the people who have experience dealing with CERTAIN issues have much more say than those who do not!"
Herr's voice has raised a little since he began, his heart pounding, feeling personally insult by something. He stops and calms himself before proceeding.
"I would be very interested to hear how you think it would be divisive."
"...i don't even know who you are anyway.." he mutters under his breath.
Zar/Herr
Zar/Herr

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Fri May 26, 2017 3:03 pm

"Then I suggest you make your vote, Herr. And do remain calm."
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Val Fri May 26, 2017 3:03 pm

"It seems that quite a few people would like me to be on the council and I will graciously accept the position if it is what the people of Holdfast desire. I would, however, in the interest of full disclosure like to make it known to the people of Holdfast that I am now the Champion of the Faerie circle and am responsible for its protection as well as relaying any messages from the mists to the town itself. If this changes anyone's vote then I am sure we can come up with another Fae representative for the council."

She pauses to order a glass of Elven cordial from Phineas. Drink in hand, she continues.

"If a three person council is preferred I nominate Degrin to represent the humans and as for the neutral party I feel either Ardin, Pierre, or Grayfeard would make an excellent addition to the representatives of the town. Ardin for his part seems to be a gentleman of much conviction and honour, Pierre has demonstrated his devotion to this town by giving up his life for its people, and Grayfeard seems to be committed to protecting the town using both his music and his blade. I feel that any of these three would be acceptable and would endorse them should the people support their nominations."

"As for the title of Sheriff, Degren knows that if we must choose one sheriff I must vote for Gurok. However, I personally feel that having a single sheriff would be too much for one person to handle. Before my..." At this point Lady Val's face takes on a look of deep disgust "code-forsaking kin -- may they continue to be eternally punished by Faerie -- cast their vile shadow upon our town Asher herself spoke to me about the need for deputies or additional Sheriffs to aid in enforcing laws within Holdfast's borders."

Her face brightens again and takes on its usual demeanour. "As a result, I feel that we should have at least one or two sheriffs in addition to Gurok since the town has grown exponentially since last summer. Some members of our town have become powerful enough to overwhelm a single foe. In contrast, a coordinated force of three individuals should be strong enough to subdue anyone within the town if they do not wish to come quietly and atone for the crimes they have committed within our town."

She takes a sip of the cordial and praises Phineas's brewing skill before continuing.

"I also think that Herr brings up a good point, military decisions and civic decisions are very different in their nature. However, I believe the Knights have their own internal power structure to make such decisions. The Knights are not a cultural entity within the town, they are a military organization. Fae, humans, kin and anything in between are permitted to join their ranks and I will gladly Knight any squires they bring forth as worthy to hold the full title of Knight. Although the Knights are currently predominantly human I personally feel that we Fae need to do more when it comes to the defence of the town and wholly support multiculturalism within our military."

"Additionally, Lessa, as part of her parting gift to the town, gave us ten scrolls of Essence specifically designed to transport wayward Elves or Fae who mean harm to our town to the Mists. Thus, if we cannot bring any wayward Fae to the Faerie circle to be transported to the Mists, we can transport them using magic. She has also given me a scroll that can bring rest to the Undead."
Lady Val
Lady Val

Back to top Go down

Post by Ardin Gallagher Fri May 26, 2017 3:35 pm

*Not hearing Herr's muttering, Ardin responds,*

"Where is the line drawn then for council expertise? Pierre may have have an ideal set of skills to be a worthy member of a military council, but what then of psychics, or mages? Should another council be created to provide us with the knowledge of fighting magics on levels I assume are not possessed by Pierre? If not, then what is to happen if a military emergency requiring magic is to arise? The council need not grow to possess multiple voices of a singular discipline, otherwise the entire town would belong to one council or another, and multiple niche councils would only serve as a gateway to disagree with one another in much the same way we as individuals disagree now. If the situation arises, as you have stated, where the council is in need of more knowledge, then they can request an individuals' audience for guidance as they see fit without the need of a separate council.

As for your words Lady Val, I am flattered, but I believe it would not be in the best interest of the town for me to take up a position of power at this point, until I can prove myself worthy to everyone. I would, however, accept a position of deputy to the sheriff should there be support for it, to help enforce the rules made by others,"
Ardin Gallagher
Ardin Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Degren Brightforge Fri May 26, 2017 6:01 pm

" I have a question.... What is the sub order of flowers?"
Degren Brightforge
Degren Brightforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Phineas J. Pennefeather Fri May 26, 2017 8:05 pm

Phineas continues to look after the gathering hoard, quietly weighing all that is said, even those that seem to be simply wrong.

“I still believe that two sheriffs are required!” he says. “With all the confusion that is obvious here, we should have two capable types to keep the peace!”

The Halfling continues.

“Obviously, one should be Gurok and the other should, in my opinion, be Pierre after all he has given us already.”
Phineas J. Pennefeather
Phineas J. Pennefeather

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next